Thursday, June 20, 2013

Bohemian Rhapsody


I had a friend once whose favorite line was “keeping it gypsy”.  She was the epitome of bohemian with her long skirts, handmade jewelry, and oh so unique personal style.  I loved this about her, but it just wasn’t my personal style.  I was a bit more polished with tailored dresses and always my high heels.  But what I’m seeing today is a rush of bohemian style for weddings and the unique bride.  I’m really starting to get on board with boho and I wanted to share some of the unique ideas I’ve seen lately.

What is boho? Think hippy with chic (not chick) thrown in.  Think vintage with a modern twist. From dresses without the fluff to bare feet, bohemian really puts a comfortable and laid back spin on the romantic wedding.

The biggest trend I’m noticing is the shift in wedding fashion from polished and "same-same-same" to an  exclusive style for every bride.  I’m seeing fewer tiaras and more of the teardrop style headbands, a vintage birdcage veil, a wreath of flowers and even lace in the head peice.  I’m noticing less of the uber-beaded gown with tailored lines and more softness with dropped and empire waists and oh, so much lace.   I'm seeing less and less of the high heel and more of the bare foot.  I’m seeing more sleeves or off the shoulder looks. I’m even seeing the bride wear less underneath her gown than what she would have had to wear to keep those big puffy, sleeveless dresses up. 
Bohemian Wedding Dress Designed by Yolan Cris
 Lace Short Wedding Dress2012 Bohemian A-line Short Sleeved Sash Chiffon Wedding Dress
 

I’m even seeing a shift in venues from weddings of recent past.  From the stark bare spaces that the bride of last year might have chosen, I’m now seeing more venues with historical references or lush gardens.  I’ve also noticed a lot more destination weddings this year with the bride’s loving being barefoot in the sand or married in an historic castle.  A feeling of freeness and romance is what the bohemian bride is looking for this year.

I’ve even come across this great company the rents retro and vintage lounge pieces for your wedding or even your bridal or engagement shoot.  I’m excited to rent these pieces instead of the same old high backed leather banquets and ottomans we’ve been doing for years.

So where does lighting fit in with the boho bride?  Perhaps instead of dramatic up-lighting, she might choose to have soft white bulbs draped in the trees outdoors or soft fabrics with mini lights hanging from the ceiling or where the ceremony will take place. Or this bride may choose hanging tea lights over her tables or in the trees.  No matter what kind of bride you are, lighting can take your wedding to the next level. That’s where we come in.  We’ll help you design your wedding lighting to match your personal style and we don’t try to push the same old thing up your alley.
string lights for wedding reception outdoors
Weddings, Lighting, Candles, Tables, Decor, Votive, Reception, Wedding 101, Nashville, TN
 

Go ahead, put the romance back into your wedding.  Go bohemian. And invite Sharp Event Design and Lighting to be a part of your that romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment